A Cardinal with a bit of salsa

NOTE: The video quality is not good. I have no idea how that white streak down the center of the frame got recorded. No doubt, it's some glare the camera lens picked up.

However, the sound is good and that's what I really wanted to record. I recorded this in my backyard.

I've never heard a cardinal sound quite like this before. The first part of his call sounds normal, but then there's a bit of chattering to it at the end. A cardinal with a bit of salsa?

This MIGHT be a Pyrrhuloxia --a western close relative of the cardinal. I have both in the area, but I had seen the cardinals at the feeder earlier in the day.

UPDATE 5/31/2009 - This is DEFINITELY a cardinal. I've actually seen him several times while he's been singing his unique blend of salsa. He's the only cardinal I've heard like this!



Comments

Popular Posts