Calliope Hummingbird - The smallest in the U.S.

Stellula calliope 

My feeders are positively swarming with hummingbirds right now as they migrate through to warmer climate. Southeast Arizona is a riparian highway, and this time of year is great for catching a glimpse of those weary travelers.

I have four nectar feeders hanging around the house right now, and on more than one occasion I've counted 11 (!) hummingbirds flying around one feeder. (Trust me, you have to count fast!)

Last week, I saw my very first Calliope hummingbird which is the tiniest breeding bird in North America, and the smallest long-distance bird migrant. Now, I see them regularly at the feeders as they pass through.

It was a sad day when one of the female Calliopes smacked into one of the windows and didn't recover. I put her tiny body out on the patio for the sneaky Roadrunner. She was gone that evening. I'm hoping Mr. Roadrunner ate her, and left my other birds alone for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts