Winding back roads

Things I miss about southwestern Pennsylvania (in no particular order).

#2 Winding back roads

It's a mistake to think that you can ride a motorcycle 12 months out of the year in Tucson. When the temperatures climb into triple digits, most bikers park their bikes. Air temperature of 103° is easily 140° in the sun. Add the heat reflected from pavement, and heat emitted from car engines and...well, let's just say it's not fun. My bike will stay parked until sometime in September.

Back in PA, I mapped out the BEST commute to the office. Unless it was treacherously icy, I always skipped the main roads opting instead for nine miles of winding back roads.

Myoma Road in Butler, PA

Myoma Road in Butler, PA

Summer was perfect for either a top-down convertible drive or a ride on my Ninja. These kind of roads are almost non-existent through much of the West. If there is a "back road," it's usually flat, straight, and the only way to get from A to B. Not very challenging to ride.

Railroad tracks

My current commute takes me right through downtown, and it's stop-and-go traffic all the way. It is what it is, but I miss my ride time on these roads.

Farmland in Butler, PA

No matter how bad the day was, I could always look forward to the drive home.

Farmland in Butler, PA

Farmland in Butler, PA

Country cemetary in Butler, PA

Comments

Popular Posts