Chemo because I care

If you had asked me even a year ago if I would have ever given a pet chemotherapy, I'm pretty sure I would have said, "Never!"

But when I was faced with that decision a few months ago, suddenly "Never" seemed like a pretty harsh sentence.

Galen wrapped in a towel to keep flailing claws under control in our daily ritual of taking meds.


Just like modern medicine has made great strides in the treatment of cancer in people, so has it also made progress in the treatment of animals. And ironically enough, at least when treating lymphoma, cats do surprisingly well with long term use of prednisolone and chlorambucil (the chemo drug).

The chemo treatment didn't involve additional trips to the vet beyond check-ups. Instead, I could give him his daily medication orally at home. Easy, right?

Right?

This is chewable fish-flavored pill about the size of a chicklet cut into fourths.
He wouldn't touch it.

The problem is that Galen HATES taking medication in ANY form. I've tried slipping pills into food, having meds compounded into expensive liquids and chewable tablets (which were gobbled up by my healthy fat cat Londo).

This is cat food (with extra gravy) mixed with .5 ml of $50 custom compounded medicine.
Untouched.
So I'm back to the pills.

He is so smart that the smallest gesture or slightest sound tips him off that meds are on the way.

Galen foaming like a rabid animal knowing his medication is about to be given.


He'll vanish to the closet or disappear underneath the bed (in the geometric center). Every week the wiley critter finds some new place to hide.

About the only positive thing is that Galen is never mean. He doesn't spit, hiss, claw or maliciously bite. He just doesn't like to take his medicine!


Begrudgingly getting some snuggles after the whole wretched ordeal is over for the evening.

Comments

Popular Posts